If your service prompts users to import their address books in order to subsequently send invitations to their contacts, you must follow the rules and recommendations below to avoid irritating users, which could ultimately result as blockage of your mailings.
- Users entering their credentials must be informed about subsequent invitations sending on their behalf.
- Users must be able to select contacts to send an invitation to.
Do not have all contacts selected by default. Instead, give users the possibility to select all the contacts by using a special (Select All) button.
- Sending messages to the contacts that a user has not selected is not allowed.
- The invitation message must clearly indicate its sender and why it was sent.
We recommend adding the inviter's email address or a link to their profile on your portal (service).
- The message must include a simple (no password or registration required) method of unsubscribing from receiving such messages. Moreover, sending similar messages to users who have unsubscribed is not allowed.
- Sending an invitation email to the same user is not permissible more than once every two weeks.
In total, we recommend sending an invitation email to the same user no more than 1-2 times.
- Sending more than 500 email invitations per week from the same user is not allowed.
- Offering various incentives to users for sending invitations is not recommended.
- Including additional promotional information in the invitation email is not recommended.
- Prior to sending it, we recommend showing users a preview of the invitation email that will be sent on their behalf.